Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Turning Point

The lands of Eregion must have been aweinspiring before the Shadow destroyed everything in it's wake. I've met with several Elves at the new encampments dotting the landscape and have lent my aid. I've followed the tracks of Nine as best I could and cleared up a couple of hastily abandoned campsites and even battled with spies tracking them as well. I've also helped with several issues that have arisen, including what amounts to a worm nursery (I'm sure either the White Hand or Mordor are trying to grow these into dragons, curse them both). The Dunlandings are ever a problem with their jealousy of every sentient Race that crosses their paths. I've also waged battle against those who would despoil the lore and art of Eregion. Let's just say Eregion has not been a vacation, and it's definitely not a no-man's land anymore.

Back to my tracking of the expedition, I'm at a loss. I figured that making for the Gap of Rohan would be the logical route for them, but it is heavily watched by Crebain and Dunlanding forts keep watch over the road leading to the Gap. I back tracked and made my way to the Redhorn Pass, it is also heavily watched but there are side paths that if known, can get one stealthily past the fort the Halforcs have erected there. I'm sure Aragorn took the Company up these paths. Surely they scaled Caradhras and are making their way past the Misty Mountains as I write this, but no...I chanced upon a final campsite. Not far from there I also found the frozen remains of a Dwarf, though he did not match the description of the Dwarven component of the Company. Nevertheless, the path of Caradhras has been completely blocked by an avalanche and the mountain is extremely angry, I must make my way down before I join that poor Dwarf's fate.

I was hoping not to have to try this last route, for it has long been a place of unrelenting evil and terror. I had a premonition about entering a "long darkness", but it seems more and more clear that instead of passing over or around the Misty Mountains, some madness or extreme urgency caused the Nine to consider passing UNDER the Misty Mountains. Through the Mines of Moria, I shiver at the thought of them braving those dark caverns, however skilled the Dwarves of old may have been, I can't imagine anything more that shafts and soot-covered mines snaking here and there and, above all else, the Terror that resides within those mines which the dwarves, in their never-ending greed freed with their relentless search for wealth.

In any case, I chanced upon a company of Dwarves searching for the fabled Hollin Gate and helped them clear it once they had found it. I must now rest and prepare for tomorrow.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: